Diabetes & Endocrine Center, Thyroid Specialists of Michigan
Patients referred to the Center will find a multidisciplinary team. The purpose of the team approach is to provide a high quality care to persons with chronic diseases, such as diabetes (sugar), osteoporosis (thin bones) or hyperlipidemia (high blood fats).
Your care will be in the hands of board-certified endocrine physicians, diabetologist and nurse practitioners specializing in diabetes management. The team will work collaboratively with your primary care physician.
Specialized care is offered for people with diabetes in childhood, adolescents, before and during pregnancy, or for those needing or desiring an intensified blood sugar program including pump therapy. The program is designed for adults with difficulty managing blood sugars or blood fats, those trying to reduce the risk of complications, and even those with a mild blood sugar disorder. Programs can be individualized to treat most endocrine or metabolic disorders and may include visits once or twice a year to meet with the team, or more frequently if adjustments are needed.
Cost of the education or management programs depends on the services needed. Although many of these costs are covered by insurance, contact your individual insurance company for detailed information.
Diabetes and Endocrine Center is located in the Peter M. Wege Center for Health & Learning. The Center offers the convenience of all diabetes team members in one place. You can meet with the nurse educator and registered dietitian in one visit. Additionally, you can schedule a dilated eye exam at the same time you visit your diabetes care provider. The Center also offers the highest educational technology in our classrooms and demonstration kitchen.
At Saint Mary's Health Care we know that following your doctor's recommendations for diabetes care is not always easy. Managing your diabetes affects all aspects of your life: meal planning, activity, knowing how and when to take medications, what to do when schedules vary and staying motivated. With the right tools, education, and support, it is possible to be healthy and enjoy life, even with diabetes. By working with the team at Saint Mary's, you can take control of your diabetes . . . so it doesn't control you.
To help you meet this goal, Saint Mary's Health Care has a comprehensive management and education program to work with you and your primary care physician to meet your diabetes needs. Our program includes the following areas, which we know are essential to successful diabetes control.
- A multidisciplinary care team: A team is crucial to managing diabetes. The diabetes team at Saint Mary's includes physicians and nurse practitioners specializing in diabetes, certified diabetes educators, registered dietitians and optometrists.
- Advice backed up with evidence: Team members will keep you aware of the latest research and techniques, including therapies which might be right for your based on current studies.
- A list of treatment options: We provide you with options when discussing your diabetes management plan so you can make the choice that is best for you to help prevent complications.
- Achievable patient goals: The team will help you set obtainable and realistic goals to be successful in controlling your diabetes. With case management, a team member will be there to cheer you on to help you meet your goals.
- Self-Assessment: We allow time to listen to your feelings about having diabetes, your management plan, and to identify education topics which you would find helpful.
We offer several programs to help you successfully begin and maintain your diabetes treatment plan.
To register for Diabetes Center, Diabetes Education or Nutrition Counseling, call 616-685-3098.
Our education program is recognized by the American Association of Diabetes Educators and is also certified by the Michigan Department of Community Health.